A 26-year-old man in China was recently rushed to the hospital immediately after a notoriously spicy soup he was eating ate through his stomach instead.
According to the Japanese website SankeBiz, the victim suffered some immediately-bloody side effects after swallowing spicy mala soup. When he was rushed to a local hospital in Wuhan it was found the normally-healthy man had a hole burned in his stomach from the brew.
The website explains that to save money, some restaurants in China are replacing chili peppers and other natural ingredients with untested synthetic chemicals made to mimic the peppers' heat. Fourteen people have reportedly been killed from the aftereffects of such altered "hot pot" soups.
Provided by ABC News Radio © 2012